Connecture (NASDAQ: CNXR) is a leading web-based consumer shopping, enrollment and retention platform for health insurance distribution. Connecture offers a personalized health insurance shopping experience that recommends the best fit insurance plan based on an individual’s preferences, health status, preferred providers, medications and expected out-of-pocket costs. Connecture’s customers are health insurance marketplace operators such as health plans, brokers and exchange operators, who must distribute health insurance in a cost-effective manner to a growing number of insured consumers. Connecture’s solutions automate key functions in the health insurance distribution process, allowing its customers to price and present plan options accurately to consumers and efficiently enroll, renew and manage plan members.
In order to evolve the Company’s current reporting and planning processes, Connecture selected Oracle® Planning and Budgeting Cloud Service™ (PBCS) as a single platform for financial planning, forecasting, and reporting, including detailed workforce planning, reporting, and modeling to facilitate the following processes:
- Monthly reporting and planning at the Company, Business Unit, and Cost Center level
- Preparing Consolidated and Consolidating Balance Sheet and Profit & Loss (P&L) Statement
- Variance reporting of Actuals against both Plan and Forecast
- Data integration of Oracle GL and ADP Workforce data files
To meet these requirements, the Company turned to Key Performance Ideas, a leader in Enterprise Performance Management (EPM) solutions, with specific and proven expertise in Oracle PBCS.
Connecture and Key Performance Ideas built a single planning and reporting application that contains two different databases aligned with appropriate dimensionality and functionality:
- Finance: contains all general ledger (GL) accounts and all necessary GL string information
- Employee: contains employee level data and statistic accounts related to salaries and bonuses
Version control is utilized to manage the various iterations leading up to the final plan. The plan facilitates planning and reporting at the level of detail necessary to satisfy the Company’s forecasting and reporting requirements; therefore, such business processes can now be executed by Company, Business Unit, and Cost Center.
Key Performance Ideas also implemented the Oracle EPM components available within the PBCS solution, providing Connecture with a world-class Planning and Forecasting solution, including:
- Oracle Hyperion Planning™ provides bottom-up preparation of periodic Company, Business Unit, and Cost Center P&L, as well as data entry forms to facilitate financial and employee resource planning
- Oracle Data Management™, an integrated solution that helps Connecture standardize financial data management processes with a web-based guided workflow interface, as well as drill-through to flat files from various data sources
- Oracle Hyperion Financial Reporting™ which provides Connecture a reporting tool for designing and presenting analytic data graphically using traditional report formats and batch scheduling with report distribution on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis
- Oracle Hyperion Smart View™ for Microsoft Office allows Connecture’s end- users to view, import, manipulate, distribute, and share data in Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint and manage application meta data
With the help of Key Performance Ideas, Connecture’s end-users have improved their processes for capturing and accurately reporting financial data. The cumbersome dumps of data and linking spreadsheets used in the past have been significantly reduced. Data is available at the click of button.
Connecture helps their clients streamline the distribution of health insurance, and now they have a planning, forecasting and reporting solution that streamlines their business processes. By partnering with Key Performance Ideas, Connecture has implemented Oracle PBCS for financial reporting of Actual, Plan and Forecast data at all levels of the business. PBCS also provides Connecture workforce labor planning, the Company’s largest expense, to make headcount, salary and compensation planning fast and efficient. Overall, the Company has achieved the following benefits:
- P&L planning by Company, Business Unit, and Cost Center
- Actual to Plan Variance Reporting
- Consistent and dynamic templates to update the plan
- Ability to plan workforce changes
- Data entry of global factors to facilitate planning, as well as salaries, raises, and bonuses
- Templates and calculations to transfer and split workforce labor costs
- Version control to manage plan iterations
Download the PDF Case Study.
Posted on Mon, May 2, 2016
by Anne Stein