This company is privately-held and the world’s leading provider of products, services, and expertise for the quantification and management of catastrophe risk. Founded in 1988, the company grew rapidly in the 1990s, offering sophisticated products and services for the management of catastrophe risk associated with natural perils such as earthquakes, hurricanes, and windstorms, as well as products for weather derivatives and enterprise risk management for the Property & Casualty Insurance industry.
Due to rapid growth sustained for over a decade, this company realized the need to invest in technology to improve operational performance visibility. Initially, the company implemented Oracle® eBusiness Suite™ (EBS) to support global operations. However, the company recognized they needed to implement an integrated world class enterprise-scale planning tool and sunset their existing SAP® BPC™ solution, as well as consolidate financial data for all entities worldwide from their new EBS General Ledger. They selected Hyperion Planning™, Oracle Financial Data Management Enterprise Edition™ (FDMEE), and Hyperion Financial Management™ (HFM). Due to the complexity of executing both a new planning and consolidations solution, the company chose to follow a phased approach for development, test and production implementations and turned to Key Performance Ideas for their expertise in infrastructure, planning and consolidation solutions, and administrative support, as well as their proven project management methodology.
Key Performance Ideas began the major implementation of Hyperion Planning, FDMEE, and HFM through requirements gathering in order to develop an architectural and process design to meet the company’s needs. Design reviews were completed and detailed design documents were delivered across three tracks: Data Integration, Planning, and HFM. Additionally, Key Performance Ideas delivered an Architectural Diagram and installed and configured both a development and production environment in the company’s hosted environment.
Solution- Data Integration Track
Integration of key critical data spans across entire solution: KPI provided data validation team and met the following criteria:
- Enable pre-population of data to improve efficiency, eliminate manual input, and reduce risk of erroneous data entry
- Increase speed and ease of updating data through automated integrations with EBS and other supplemental sources
- Support integration with Domestic and International ADP payroll applications for Employee ID’s and Employee Names
- Support data integration with Salesforce.com for relevant Opportunity/Bookings information
- For hierarchies outside of what is available from EBS, ADP, Salesforce.com, provide ability to manually maintain such hierarchies
- Support data integration for GL-level actuals by GL account and relevant GL strings from EBS in local and USD currency
- Provide ability to refresh data automatically on a daily basis, and on demand
Implemented Hyperion Planning and leveraged FDMEE to allow business analysts to develop standardized financial data management processes, and:
- Reduce effort to administer and execute planning process, including a rolling forecast, and improve performance of standard and ad-hoc reporting
- Support multiple versions, variance analyses, and enable users to revise, iterate, and aggregate information based on up-to-date data
- Provide visibility into India and Japan’s data as they transitioned to EBS
- Develop one annual plan, and 4 quarterly forecasts each year with plans completed in local currency and converted to USD
- Leverage existing logic to support balance sheet and cash flow functionality
- Deliver P&L to support current fiscal year budgeting and forecasting process at monthly level with four additional years done at an annual level- Revenue & Cost of Sales Planning, Workforce Planning, Capital Expense Planning, Operating Expense Planning
- Leverage FDMEE for direct integration to sources, drill through, and extended audit capabilities for financial and non-financial data
Solution- HFM Track
Leveraged FDMEE to extract GL data from EBS to consolidate and report on financial data across all entities, as well as provide ad-hoc reporting and expense drill down, and:
- Perform seven currency translations, automatic elimination entries, and CTA calculations
- Provide real time, automatic consolidation across 450 base level accounts
- Derive Balance Sheet from end of month rate and Income Statement by Year-To-Date actual at Year-To-Date average rate
- Support non-GAAP reporting and other statutory reporting with ability to perform variance analysis
- Leverage FDMEE for direct integration to sources, drill through, and extended audit capabilities for GL and other related financial data
S.M.A.R.T. for On-Going Functional Production Support Also Selected
The company also turned to Key Performance Ideas to provide on-going functional production support for the
new Oracle Hyperion systems. Leveraging their S.M.A.R.T. team of Hyperion certified professionals; the company receives on-going support based on their needs and annual business calendar from Key Performance Ideas. This has allowed the company to reduce overall staffing costs and exposure to turnover while ensuring high availability of their application.
With decades of growth, both nationally and globally, this company realized it needed to invest in technology to improve the management of their business performance. They turned to Key Performance Ideas who was able to provide a phased approach to the implementation of Hyperion Planning, FDMEE and HFM. Today, the company has a world class enterprise-scale planning and financial consolidations and reporting application that integrates with their enterprise resource planning solution. With Key Performance Ideas, the company has:
- Reduced planning, budgeting, and forecasting cycles, as well as consolidation, close, and reporting cycles
- Improved accuracy of plans and forecasts and delivered timely results, internally and externally
- Eliminated lag time between plan update and report refresh and reduced compliance risk
- Delivered a single version of the truth to improve transparency and visibility into business performance
Download the full story....
Posted on Tue, December 9, 2014
by Anne Stein